- 2 lbs. Louisiana blue crab meat, jumbo lump
- 1/2 lb. butter, unsalted, divided
- 1 1/2 cups onions, minced
- 1 cup celery, small dice
- 1 cup green peppers, small dice
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Original TABASCO® brand pepper sauce
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tsp. Creole seasoning, divided
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg salt, to taste
- White pepper, ground, to taste
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 2 loaves French bread, sliced and toasted
1.) Add 4 tbsp. butter and onions to medium sauté pan. Cook gently until onions are tender and translucent. Add celery and green peppers and cook an additional 3 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve.
2.) In medium sauce pot, melt remaining 12 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix well. Add white wine, milk and heavy cream. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Add 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1 cup parmesan cheese, parsley, lemon juice, TABASCO®, Worcestershire, 2 tsp. Creole seasoning and nutmeg. Stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Remove from heat and reserve.
3.) Combine onion mixture with cream mixture. Add Louisiana blue crab meat and green onions. Toss gently to combine. Taste and add salt and white pepper as needed.
4.) Combine panko breadcrumbs, remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese, remaining 1 cup parmesan cheese and remaining 2 tsp. of Creole seasoning.
5.) Divide crab mixture into 12 buttered gratin dishes. Top each generously with bread crumb mixture.
6.) Bake in 400°F oven for 12-15 minutes and then place under broiler for 1-2 minutes to brown the top.
7.) Serve with sliced toasted French bread.