Gulf Seafood Stuffed Breakfast Crepes with Mornay sauce
Makes 24 crepes
Florida Pink Shrimp, 71/ 90, peeled and deveined ½ #
Texas Brown Shrimp, 71/90, peeled and deveined ½ #
Miss. Blue Crab Meat, lump 1#
Alabama Red Snapper, Filets ¾ #
Louisiana Oysters 24 Ea.
Flour ½ cup
Milk 1 cup
Heavy cream 1 cup
White wine ¾ cup
Seafood stock or clam juice ¼ cup
Coleman’s dry mustard 2 tsp
Nutmeg ¼ tsp
Creole seasoning 2 tsp
Garlic powder 1 tsp
Bay leaf 2 ea
Monterrey or Colby Jack cheese 4 oz.
Parmesan cheese 2 oz.
Lemon juice, 3 Tbsp
Lemon zest chopped 2 tsp
Tabasco 1 tsp
Salt and Pepper to taste
Button mushrooms, chopped 2 ½ cups
Onion, minced 1 cup
Red pepper, ¼” dice 1 cup
Chives, chopped 1/3 cup
Dill, chopped 1/3 cup
Tarragon, chopped ¼ cup
Eggs, hard boiled, chopped 4 ea
All Purpose flour 3 cups
Milk 3 cups
Water 1-½ cups
Eggs 12 ea
Butter, ¾ cup (1 ½ sticks)
Salt 1 ½ tsp
1. In a saucepot, combine milk, cream, wine and stock and bring to a simmer.
2. In another large pot melt butter. Add flour to butter make a roux. Add milk/ cream mixture in 1/3’s to the roux, stirring until smooth each time before adding more liquid. When all liquid has been added, add dry mustard, nutmeg, creole seasoning, garlic powder and bay leaf. Cook over low heat for 25 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning the bottom. Add jack and Parmesan cheeses and stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste and reserve mornay sauce warm.
3. To prepare snapper: Line a sheet tray with aluminum foil and dress with olive oil. Place snapper filets on tray and season with salt and pepper. Place in a 350-degree oven and bake until filets are cooked through (do not overcook). Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Remove and discard any skin or bones and flake fish apart into pieces. Reserve.
4. To prepare shrimp: Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp and sauté until just cooked through (do not overcook). Remove from heat and reserve.
5. To prepare crab and oysters: Pick through crabmeat 3 times to make sure there are NO shells, etc. Reserve crabmeat. Clean unopened oysters under cold water to remove any dirt and loose shells. Shuck oysters carefully and remove from the shell. Reserve chilled.
6. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, peppers and mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms are cooked and onions are tender. Reserve.
7. To Put filling together: In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked shrimp, cooked snapper and crab meat (NOT oysters). Add mushroom/ onion/ pepper mixture. Add herbs and chopped hard-boiled egg. Finally add Mornay sauce. GENTLY fold the mixture together, being careful not to break apart the seafood. Add lemon juice, zest and Tabasco. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reserve filling.
8. To make crepes batter: Combine flour, milk, water, eggs, butter and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to allow batter to rest.
9. To make crepes: Heat an 8” non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add 3½ oz. of batter to the pan and tilt the pan so that the batter covers the entire bottom of the pan. Cook until crepe releases from the pan and is slightly browned. Flip over and cook an additional minute. Remove crepe from pan and layer in between sheets parchment paper.
10. To fill crepes: Place one crepe on a flat surface. Place 3 oz. of seafood filling in the center. Spread filling out like a cigar. Place one uncooked oyster on top of filling in the center. Fold sides over filling and roll up like a burrito. Repeat until all filling has been used. Place crepes in a buttered 2” hotel pan so there is a little room in between each of them. Reserve crepes until ready to serve.
11. To heat crepes: Cover with hotel pans with aluminum foil. Heat in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes, until filling is hot in the center.